Intensive Outpatient is designed to provide intensive, highly structured, primary treatment of substance abuse and dependence. For many individuals, it is an alternative to residential treatment, allowing the client to remain in their community and continue ongoing maintenance of family, work, or school responsibilities.
- Nine or more contact hours per week
- Individual, group, and educational programming
- Introduced to community support systems (such as Alcoholics Anonymous)
- Usually three consecutive evenings of group therapy
- Individual therapy scheduled throughout the week